8.05.2010

Summer Salad


I don't suppose it's fair to say that I have a favorite season for produce. Every season is my favorite and as they turn over I get excited for the change in available produce and the seasonal recipes. Since it's summer, I'll say it's my favorite. I love the fresh lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers. To bring some savory flavor to a salad I love to add a full-flavored cheese, like goat, blue or feta.

Summer Salad
Makes as much salad as you want

Ingredients:
Green leaf lettuce
Tomato
Cucumber
Red bell pepper
Goat cheese
Coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
Preparation:
Wash and dry all veggies. Rip lettuce in to reasonably sized bites. Chop tomato, cucumber and red bell pepper and add to lettuce. Top with goat cheese crumbles, salt and pepper. Top with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette and enjoy!
Tips:
For one serving of salad I use roughly three large leaves of lettuce, 1/2 of a tomato, 5 thin slices of cucumber (cut into quarters), and 1/4 of a red bell pepper. The nice thing about salads is you can make them as big or as small as you like.
I try and eat salads before my main course to fill up space so I don't eat as much of the heavier stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment